Wood is as pure and raw as a child. Both need to be nurtured and cared for to keep them pristine.
The texture of the natural wood, the earthy scent of the wooden toys will nourish the senses of the little ones.
100% natural and non-toxic, wooden toys will provide endless hours of play and exploration for children. The wooden toys will spark a child’s imagination and creativity in a way that no other toy can do.
To keep them unblemished and sparkling throughout they need to be tended to.
How to care for and clean wooden toys?
Babies have a natural urge to put everything in their mouth as lips and mouth are full of sensory nerves which help them to get a touch and feel of what something is. It’s the way they are exploring the world. This mouthing will help them to distinguish soft from hard, warm from cool, and so on.
The toys will find a way from the ground to babies’ hands and eventually their mouths. So it becomes imperative for parents and caregivers to keep a safety check as to what is going in their little mouths.
Besides keeping away the toys and objects from their reach, which may pose a choking hazard, it is also necessary to clean and disinfect them.
Thanks to the anti-microbial properties of the wooden toys, which prevent accumulation and growth of harmful bacteria on their surface. They don’t need any harsh chemicals and cleaning wooden toys is child’s play. You can even get your child involved in the cleaning process. This is an opportunity for the children to connect with and care for their toys.
How often to clean Wooden toys?
Wooden toys are low-maintenance toys. Since wood is naturally anti-microbial, you only need to give them a quick clean-up when there is a build-up of dirt or a sticky substance on them. Maybe once in one or two weeks.
If your baby regularly mouths on any wooden toy, especially the teether, it needs to be cleaned daily or a few times a day too.
Opt for only the safe cleaning methods to keep the wooden toys sanitary.
Things to use while cleaning wooden toys
Wood being natural should be cleaned by natural and non-toxic cleaning agents like mild soap and warm water / white or apple cider vinegar diluted with water or any non-toxic multipurpose cleaner diluted with water.
How to clean wooden toys?
To clean the wooden toys follow these simple steps:
- Make a solution of vinegar in water ( 1 part of vinegar to 4 parts of water ). Put this solution in a spray bottle.
- Squirt this solution on the toys or a sponge or washcloth and gently wipe the toys. You can also dip a clean dry cloth in the solution and give them a good wipe down. Well, this is always a preferred solution for Neem wood teethers. Try to avoid any soap solution for cleaning.
- Allow the toys to air-dry indoors or outdoors and here you get them spick and span. Once the toy dries, the odor of the vinegar will dissipate.
To treat the light stains, prepare a concentrated mixture of water and vinegar in a 1:1 ratio. Spray it on the stain and scrub with a sponge or cloth. Air-dry it.
If it’s a tough stain, rub it with fine sandpaper. Clean and polish it with a little olive oil or any edible oil to give a smooth finish.
To clean a thick or dried sludge, make a paste of baking soda and water and scrub it using a coarse cloth. Wipe with a damp cloth and then air dry.
Things to take care of while cleaning wooden toys
- Do not soak or put the wooden toys in the dishwasher. Soaking can cause the wood to swell and paints to lose shine.
- It’s good to show some sun to the wooden toys as sunlight is an extra germ killer. But drying them in intense sunlight for a prolonged period can cause cracking and fading of the colors.
- Never use bleach or any harsh chemicals to clean wooden toys, as it can not only dry out the wood and deplete it of its natural moisture but is not safe for babies as well.
- Furniture polish on children’s wooden toys is not recommended.
Storing and caring for the wooden kid’s toys
- Wooden kid’s toys should be stored in a dry, moisture-free space as dampness may cause mold to appear.
- Moisturizing wooden toys from time to time by embalming with olive oil or beeswax polish enhances their texture and life.
- Taking good care will add years to a wooden toy. They are timeless and can be used and played by generations. If at all they break over the years, non-toxic wood glues will fix them in right away.
Wooden toys will be cherished by your little one for years.
Let’s bring nature home! Let’s buy wooden toys!!